Friday 12 August 2016

PART TWENTY: CHF 10'000 PER PERSON - MY FIRST REALITY CHECK OF THE RICH AND FAMOUS

3 DAYS OF HARD WORK - THE BEST OF THE BEST

I was back in the function kitchen for a very top class function. The best foods and wine with all the trimmings. The best money can buy. In all the time I worked as a Chef, before and after, this function would be one of the most prestige events I was part off as a chef apprentice and later as a qualified chef. Little did I knew what I am going to witness and especially what I am going to learn.

Every thing has to be perfect, and I really mean  perfect!

The Executive Chef briefed all of us about the function and how everything had to be of best quality. It was a buffet function for about 100 very wealthy people in high society. The cost per person was a stagering CHF 10'000 including wine and champagne where you would pay several thousand Swiss Francs per bottle. For what I can remember is, the cost of the rooms for the guests where included. Back in those days, money was no subject. Jobs where plentiful and the economy was great. 

(Back in those days a Swiss Franc was higher than the American dollar and still is today, but only by a few cents.) 

The whole kitchen brigade was involved, one way or the other. We where a total of 40 Chefs, including apprentices and kitchen assistants or kitchen hands. How ever, all the Chefs working in the satellite kitchens, where not involved as they had to cook for the hotel guests dining in the  3 restaurants.


Three days of preparation work

The main team of the function of which I was a part off, worked endlessly for at least 12 hours a day preparing everything, from pre dinner canapé's to the entrée section of the buffet to the main course part of the buffet. The pastry chef was working on the desserts and Manuel in the cold larder was busy making butter scultures, a sword fish, dolphin and a mermaid, all made from modeling margerine. 
During that time period, from the preparation to serving the grand buffet, no one in the kitchen could take any roster days off. In the Chef's game, work comes always first and every individuals life comes second. So during that week, every body was required to work, no excuses. Emergencies where an exeption of course. All hands on deck, working as a team to get through the busy periods of the hotel. We could compensate lost days off during a time where the hotel was not so busy with functions. 


Some of the amazing foods served

This was a great opportunity to see what great foods where served. As an apprentice, I got to see foods I only know from text books and also had the opportunity to work and taste some of those foods. Caviar from Iran and Russia, Fois gras which is goose liver, lobsters, sword fish, tuna, crabs, japanese sea spiders, other sea foods, eyefilet medallions with a bone marrow topping, pork belly, lamb cutlets from Australia, and the list goes on. Back in those days, I did not own a good photo camera and we where way to busy to worry about making photos. Sadly enough, after all that hard work, it would be great to make a few good photo shots.





The shock of my life, upset and stunned

The big day arrived where we were setting up the grand buffet. All the waiters were busy getting all the champagne and wines organised, setting up the tables with gold plated cutlery and decorating the function room. The maintenance team checked all the lights and audio systems and our General Manager was keeping a watchful eye on all the happenings. Our Executive Chef was hands on setting up the buffet. Manuel from the cold larder was setting up all the butter sculptures and all the cold larder show platters and salads. The pressure was on, every thing had to be perfect. 

Once the buffet was set up, our Executive Chef chose 4 chefs to go out and stand behind the buffet for two reasons: to serve the guests if they wished, and second to advice them on the food if they had any questions. I was part of that team. We had to get fresh chefs unifroms from the in house laundry and change into the new chef's uniforms. 
We went outside into the function room and placed ourselfs behind the buffet. The guests where seated, the waiters buzzing around serving drinks while one of the guests had a speak. When the time arrived for the guests to come up to the buffet, I could not believe my eyes. The guests did not even take the time to look at the buffet first, they just came up and like starving seagulls, taking food from the buffet. I could feel how I am getting really upset. Here we are, busting our chops for 3 days preparing this grand buffet, watching those so called high society people not even appreciate the work behind our buffet. Like barbarians, they loaded up the plates to the max. I even watched some guests trying to take some butter from the butter sculptures for the bread rolls. I had to walk up to them and ask them not to take the butter from the butter sculptures. There was whipped butter on the buffet. I was shocked and at the same time really pissed off with those guests. But I had to keep smiling and be friendly. 
After we finished with the buffet, I went right away to the Executive Chef and told him what I witnessed. He saw that I was very upset and he told me that this was normal. Rich people have a attitude that everything they eat is high class food. For them it is not important how much work is involved producing this high class foods, as longest they can fill the bellies with it. 
I have to admit, since that day, I lost a lot of respect for the so called high society. 
So that was my first exerience to cook for the filthy rich. Gladly, most times we where cooking for the every day folks who appreciate great food, bringing joy for us chef's.

Next week I talk about personal sacrifices a Chef has to make to get ahed in life. 
Until then, take care, have a great week and enjoy life and fine foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment