Friday 9 September 2016

PART TWENTYFOUR: LEARNING TO WORK IN A RESTAURANT

From BIG to small

I did my apprenticeship in a big International Hotel called Holiday Inn. I learned the ins and outs of a large hotel operation but had no idea what it is like to work in a restaurant. In order to prepare us for the future in the Chefs trade, the Executive Chef organised for us apprentices to go and work for a month or two in a restaurant. Good for us to learn how different it is to work in a restaurant. In our second year of apprenticeship each one of us had to go for about 2 months to a restaurant near Zürich called "Al Dente". That restaurant was part of the TMC ZÜRICH (Textil und Mode Centrum)(Textile and fashion center). One of Europes largest trading center for textiles and fashion, had a restaurant attached to the center. All the fashion designers, textile business people and all the pretty girls showing off all the new designed dresses. Real eye candy for us boys, I can assure you. Here is a photo of the TMC in Zürich.


I started in the restaurant which had a small kitchen brigade. The kitchen was a lot smaller and everything was made in that small kitchen. It was a lot different to work in that restaurant and the pace was very fast. The TMC had a lot of textile and fashion events and was visited by a lot of people from near and far. 
The foods served was of very high quality due to the clientele and it was also expensive. The restaurant was open all day until about 10 pm. Personally, I did not really like working in a small kitchen crowded with chefs but I had no other option. On top of that, our head chef of that restaurant was a real smart arse and treated us apprentices not really well. It was a character forming exercise. I felt a few times to smack him but I had to keep my temper in control. After all I was a apprentice, meaning to shut up, keep smiling and say YES CHEF. 

Here is a picture of the restaurant with outdoor seating.


I remember a incident where that head chef was pushing his luck to the maximum with me. 
We where very busy and we had a couple of functions coming up. I just got word, that my dear auntie passed away and we would go to her funeral. I went to the head chef and ask him for permission to go to her funeral. He's reply was: They can bury her without you been there. We are to busy and you can not go. I lost my shit, took of the apron and left the kitchen. I went home, told my mum and she got very angry. She called that head chef and complained to him. I went to see my Executive Chef at the Holiday Inn and reported to him what happened. 
At the end, I could not go to the funeral, but the head chef had to go to management and after applogize to me in front of every one. Since that day, I did not wanted to work there any longer, but I stayed for a couple more weeks. Luckely I was back at the hotel afterwards and I did not had go go back. I was not interested to work in restaurants anyway, I was quite happy to work only in hotels.  

Here is one more photo of the restaurant from close up.


Valuable lesson learned

Always keep your temper. Get even, take the right action. If you know that you have a point, especially if it comes to a family matter with your boss, go to management. As a chef, one has to develop a thick skin. Like in every other trade, you will get to meet some arseholes with no people or management skills. Look at the situation, keep cool, and act accordingly. A character forming exercise.

Next week I talk about the hot section of the main kitchen and my experience working with a fantastic chef. Have a great week, love life and enjoy great food.

No comments:

Post a Comment