Friday 29 April 2016

PART FIVE: THE DAY MY LIFE CHANGED FOR EVER

10th of April 1978--8am A new Beginning

SCHOOL  IS COMING TO AN END or IS IT?

I could not wait for school to finish. Waiting for the last day of school was torturous to say the least. I was so excited to begin my apprenticeship in a fantastic and Internationally known Hotel Chain Holiday Inn. 
My last year at school was in the French speaking part of Switzerland, called La Newville on lake Bienne, Switzerland. A private school for year 9 to 12, very strict and you need to pay attention. Lots of tests, homework under supervision, after school we were only to speak French. School was 6 full days and Sunday we could go out for 2 hours in the afternoon. My dad send me there to polish up my maths and French language. Back in the days you needed to speak a little bit of French for two reasons: first about a third of Switzerland speaks French, and secondly when you work in a commercial kitchen, all equipment is named in French and all dishes as well. Menus to be written in German and French and during service the head chef will call out the dishes in French. The chefs reply in French and cook the dish. 
March 1978 was the last month in school. We were just preparing for our final exams and when the day came to leave, I was so excited that I could jump out of my skin. No more school I said to myself when I realized that was not the case. 
When you start an apprenticeship in Switzerland, you have to go  to TRADE school one full day per week. During the school holidays, you work that day per week while school is off.
I finished up in the last week of March 1978 and moved back home for the next 3 years. Luckily, I could go to work on my bicycle until I had my own moped.

PREPARING FOR MY APPRENTICESHIP

But for now I had a couple of weeks break and preparing myself for the start of my apprenticeship. Going to the hairdresser to get a neat short hair cut, getting my first 3 knives, a paring knife,  a bread knife and a vegetable knife. As a Chef you use your own knives.
I did not had to worry about a chef uniform. The hotel had a laundry service, were all linen, shower tails, bath robes, aprons and chef uniforms were washed and ironed. Chefs hats were supplied through work. I also needed a pair of working shoes. Most chefs would use Dutch wooden clogs with a rubber sole. Kitchen floors can be wet and slippery, so you need footwear that keep you safe and your feet dry.  See photo below.


We also needed to get a copy of the Swiss Chefs Trade cookbook. We call it simply "Pauli". Written by Eugen Pauli, the book incorporates everything a chef needs to now from kitchens to international dishes, all base knowledge there is to know for a professional Chef. This book is a life time companion, I still got a copy of it, just the newer version. Every Chef in Switzerland, Germany and Austria has a copy on the bookshelf. The photo below was the copy I had during my apprenticeship and after until it fell apart.


Finally, the day came nearer and on the 10th of April at 8am I reported to the Executive Chefs office. I was greeted by Norbert Fontana, the Executive Chef of the Holiday Inn and Moevenpick, Zurich International Airport, Switzerland. He has the highest Master's Degree in Cooking, a great teacher to have. A new life is about to start and I was ready for it.

Next week we talk about the kitchen and how a typical commercial kitchen of a big hotel operates. Until then, enjoy your week and remember that life is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment