Friday 8 April 2016

PART TWO: THE SEARCH FOR A CHEF'S APPRENTICESHIP -- A STEP INTO A NEW LIFE

THE LIFE CHANGING DECISION

THE PROCESS TO MAKE A SOUND DECISION

So back in 1976/77 I was just in my last year of school, I was now focused on the idea to become a Chef. I had to do some intelligence work so to speak. To find out everything there is to know about the life of a chef and how to become one. Also I needed a concrete answer to why I wanted to become a Chef, knowing what I am going to face. Remembering the words of mum and dad, to choose something I like in the realm of my education or have a passion for it.
Now based on the following, I made the decision to become a Chef, this was after looking at some facts first. Questions I needed answered and there was a few, believe me. 
  1. Working hours: Split shifts, work weekends, work nights, work very long hours in the day and sometimes with only one day off per week. Also work public holidays and when everybody is out having a great time.
  2. Pressure: Cooking has to do a lot with timing, so there is a level of stress involved.
  3. Dedication: The duration of the apprenticeship goes for 3 years back then, including trades school. A lot to learn in that short period of time.
  4. Passion: To love food and have a passion for cooking and eating is a must have, if you want to become a great chef.
  5. To be able to work with a team of people in a confined space and heat, to be able to communicate and follow instructions.
  6. Personal and work hygiene must be always top priority.
  7. To be flexible, willing to learn and learn more.
  8. Cleaning is a part of a Chef's life. You must keep your workspace clean, including mop the floors, cleaning pots and pans, scrub the stove and ovens, clean down benches and a lot more. You have to be aware of that, not just cooking but cleaning as well. 


So this was my list of what was expected from me. However, how about the dream to see the World and travel? How about job security and how hard or easy it would be to find a job? How about raising children and having a family? How much money would I earn?The questions I had to have an answer for.

  1. See the World: definitely possible working as a Chef. You could work on a cruise liner, airliner, work overseas in a international hotel, be a private chef on a luxury cruiser, work on a oilrig, or in the outback of Australia in a mine. People have to eat, here and  everywhere. Good Chefs are always sought in the International arena. 
  2. Job Security: Today there is no job security. However,as a Chef you will have no great difficulties finding a job. If you are prepared to relocate, your chances are even better to perfect. I relocated a number of times for a great or better job.
  3. Having a family with children: I SEEN IT MANY TIMES, been a Chef takes up a lot of time. You will not see your kids a lot, less than a person with a 9 to 5 job, Monday to Friday. That could cause tension between you and your partner. However, there are Chef jobs out there where you work a fixed shift like 7am to 3pm Monday to Friday in a trendy cafe or restaurant, or the breakfast shift in a big hotel. 
  4. How much money would I earn? Every country or state has different pay structures. 
So, there you have it. I now knew the theoretical part. Knowing all that now, I was okay with all of the requirements and was prepared to take the big step to become a Chef.

TESTING THE WATERS

i knew from the start, that I wanted to have my chef training or apprenticeship in a big international hotel. Luckily, there was 3 hotels near my home I could apply for a apprenticeship. That was easier said than done!! Back in 1977, it was not so easy to get a chef's apprenticeship in the location you would prefer, close to home. There was also a great interest in general for chefs, meaning a lot of young boys and girls were looking for chef apprenticeships. So I had to write a application letter to all the places I wanted to apply for a apprenticeship. Gladly, that was only possible with the help of mum, she was really good with words and writing letters. She was also a quick reader, like me today. So I started to write by hand using a parker and neat paper, my applications. It was important to state why you wanted to become a chef and why you wanted to have a apprenticeship with them. I can not remember how many applications I send off, but there were dozens. 

Next week we talk about how I have gone for a number of work experiences lasting from one to two weeks. Seeing for the first time big and small commercial kitchens and work with real chefs.



No comments:

Post a Comment