Friday 1 April 2016

PART ONE: THE LIFE AND WORK AS A INTERNATIONAL CHEF -- THE BEGINNING

CHOOSING THE PATH OF YOUR FUTURE LIFE

INTRODUCTION

Hello and a very warm welcome to my blog. Before we start, I like to mention, that the stories on my blog are based on real life events and how you can have a dream and one day you live that dream. I am going to talk about my own path from a young boy, about 16 years old to today when I am turning 55. I had a very exciting and fascinating life and even today, I love every day been alive and try to make the best out of it. 
I also write this blog in Memory of my dear mum, who passed away a few years ago. She was my guide, friend, companion and adviser and without her I would not be where I am today. 
It is also to the Memory of my Dad which is still alive today. You could not have a better dad, he is the World for me.
I had the absolute privilege to grow up in a harmonic family who loved each other, showed kindness, love towards me and did everything to make my life a dream and worth living for. God bless them all. 



CHOOSING THE PATH
Now, I will also spend a bit of time with you on the actual decision you have to make one day. The most important decision, let me say that one more time. THE MOST IMPORTANT DECISION OF YOUR LIFE, THAT WILL DETERMINE THE DIRECTION OR PATH YOUR LIFE IS GOING TO GO. You are getting the ball rolling, your first step to go out there and take on the World.
YOU NEED TO BE FULLY AWARE WHAT IS AWAITING YOU. You may say, how can I know the future? That is true, however you are going to make a decision on what you know, I hope. 

Every young girl or boy is going to wonder one day, what they want to become in life. Dreams and eager to get the best out of life, we sometimes dream of a trade which is beyond our reach. Even myself, when I was 15, I wanted to become a board mechanic on a airliner jet. I love planes, love to see the World, that is what I want to become.So one day, when we sat on the table having lunch, my dad ask me: "Do you have an idea what trade you want to learn " I told my dad, that I want to become a board mechanic for a airliner jet. My dad just nodded his head and the day went on as normal. About a couple of days later, my dad came into my room, and deposited a old radio, build into a wooden cabinet, in working order. I was excited, wow dad is giving me a radio. How wrong I was. Dad, looks at me and dad gives me some instructions. It went a little bit like that. Son, as you can see, this old radio is working perfectly. I agreed, so dad went on by saying; take that radio apart, dismantle the whole radio and cabinet, after put it all back together. Once you done that successfully and the radio works as good or better, you can go down to Swissair and put in a application form for a apprenticeship as a board mechanic on a commercial aircraft. My dad had friends which were airline pilots. He ask them what the entry requirement was for a apprenticeship as a board mechanic. The requirement was exactly what my dad ask me to do with the radio. You needed to have already a very broad understanding on either mechanical or electrical or both.
Wow, my World just came crashing down like thunder, realizing that I would have zero knowledge on how to go about it, let alone know stuff about electricity, transmitters and receivers and the like. I loved bird watching and plane spotting, history and music and also like to cook or try to.
Choosing the path is what trade you are going to learn. This is how you are going to earn money to live, perhaps you are going to have a future family and how you are going to be able to provide for them.

HOW TO CHOOSE THE PATH

To come back to my story, After the eye opening event with my dad, only then I realised that there was more to it and that I needed to look at my options of what I can do as a Trade and what I could not do. So I consulted the advice of mum and dad on how to go about choosing the right trade. 
Dad always wanted me to become a watchmaker. He soon realised, that most likely this is never going to happen. My temper would not allow such fine work. I had to keep my nerves just to put together a plastic model plane. So the day came closer and closer where I had to make a decision on what I am going to do after school finishes. In school we also went through the motions about looking for a apprenticeship. All of a sudden the penny dropped. I remembered that when I was about 6 years old, I was making a paper model  of a Hotel. When grandma ask me what I was doing, I replied to her that I am making a model for the Hotel I want one day. But how about when I took cooking classes when I was 12 to be able to help mum and let her have a rest while I cook. When we went to see the rest of the family, I use to always hang around the women in the kitchen and watching what grandma would cook. With 13 mum started to give me a few goes with cooking something with her help. The answer was right in my face. With 14 and 15 I started to cook by myself for the family.It was screaming at me all the time. Hey, it opens the whole World to me, when I realised that, I knew, I will be a great Chef one day, work in some of the most exclusive hotels and restaurants in the World.
Mum use to say; "Do what you love to do!" Wow, how true that is!!  

In my next post I will spend some time on how and what I had to do to start a Chef apprenticeship. 
.  

No comments:

Post a Comment