Friday 22 April 2016

PART FOUR: SUCCESS - FINALLY A GREAT APPRENTICESHIP IN A INTERNATIONAL HOTEL

PERSISTENCE, PATIENCE & POSITIVE MIND

MY FIRST TIME IN A BIG HOTEL AS A WORK EXPERIENCE

After a couple more work experiences in a couple of other restaurants, I knew that I wanted to do my apprenticeship in a big International Hotel. My decision was based on the following points:
  1. My Interest was to begin with in learning how to cook International Foods .
  2. I was advised by a very well known Chef in our region to do my apprenticeship in a well known International Hotel if I wanted to see the World, which brings me to point 3.
  3. My dream was since I have been a young boy, to see the World and even stay and work in other countries. I always believed that there is more to life than been in the same place for the entire duration of someone's life. So I had to find a profession that allows me to see the beautiful World.
  4. I ask myself: "So why was it and still is very important, where you do your apprenticeship?"  Speaking to a number of Chefs, it was explained to me that you need to do a chef apprenticeship in a well known Hotel. A Hotel renowned all over the World.  It can be a Hotel like Grand Hotel Dolder, Grand Hotel Sacher, The Astoria in New York, some of the best Hotels in the World. How ever, to get an apprenticeship in one of those Hotels is like winning the jackpot in the lottery, I tried with no luck at all. The second best option was to get an apprenticeship in a top Hotel chain like, Hilton, Holiday Inn or Radisson. So when you apply for a Chefs position after your training, going overseas, you may get a transfer from within the Hotel chain. You may apply direct to a Hotel chain oversees or an individual Hotel overseas, they know the place where you did your apprenticeship. That means that you have already your foot halfways in the door. 
  5. My curiosity meeting people from around the World and see how they live, their culture and what they eat.  
  6. You NEVER have a problem finding a job as a Chef. People have to eat, in peace and war. I seen it with my own eyes, the shortage of good chefs in every city and bigger towns. This is still the case today, in 2016!
  7.  My love of food, eating food from around the World and learning how to cook it.
After sending off more application forms, I get a reply from Hotel Zurich for an interview. I was so excited and could not wait for the day to arrive. 
The day came where I went to the Hotel, well dressed to meet the Head Chef. The interview went for 20 minutes and he agreed to take me on for a week as a work experience. He did tell me that 50 people applied for an apprenticeship at this hotel. This just shows you how hard it was to find a chef's apprenticeship in a very well known hotel. 
The day of my work experience week arrived and for the first time I was going to work in a hotel kitchen, a very big hotel kitchen. I love it immediately. I knew, that was the sort of kitchen I want to learn to be a chef. 
During that time I had the opportunity to work in different sections of the main kitchen and in one of the satellite kitchens. There was an incident I never forget. 
I was working in the pastry section peeling fruits for a fruit salad. There was a second fellow who also did his work experience. He worked in the breakfast section. His job was to make scrambled eggs preparation for the next day. He had to crack 360 eggs in to the large bowl of the stand mixer, then mix them well and putting the egg mixture through a sieve into h holding container to make sure no egg shells were left in the mix. 
So here he comes, gets the large bowl for the stand mixer, throws 360 unpeeled eggs into the bowl, then takes the large whisk of the stand mixer, pushes the whisk into the eggs. He takes the bowl with the eggs and whisk over to the stand mixer, setting up the whisk to the stand mixer before starting to turn on the stand mixer. He was smart enough to have the mixing speed on slow first to crush up all the eggs before turning the speed up. In the meantime he went to get a holding container and a sieve to strain the egg mix. I watched the whole lot with interest, knowing this is how not to do this job. To the fellows bad luck, the head chef walked into the pastry. He watched him from a distance. I never saw anyone "lose his shit" as bad as the head chef did. He yelled at him, told him basically to pack his bags and good bye.
My week ended very quickly and they told me that they will notify me if I as successful getting an apprenticeship.

FINALLY, A APPRENTICESHIP IN A INTERNATIONALLY KNOWN HOTEL CHAIN

I did hear back from Hotel Zurich informing me that I was not successful with my application and wished me better luck in the future. 
My dream was to do my apprenticeship with Swissair at Zurich International Airport. The problem was, they had over 150 applications for 3 apprenticeship positions. 
Next to the airport was the Holiday Inn and Movenpick Hotel Zurich. I also send them an application and within a week I heard back from them to come in and see Head Chef Norbert Fontana. I met him and we spoke for about ten minutes and we agreed for a week of work experience. I wanted this apprenticeship real bad at this Hotel. This was my chance to be not to far from home and so my career began without me knowing. I got along with the Chefs like a house on fire. I worked in all sections of the kitchen, including the banquet kitchen and satellite kitchen. It was absolutely great and the training I am going to get is World class standard. After the week finished, I was called in to the Executive Chefs office and we spoke about 30 minutes about my week, how I liked it and if I wanted to come back for the apprenticeship. He also explained to me that all his apprentices are some of the state's best chefs when they finish the training. That I had to work hard and to be committed, of which I agreed. He told me that I will hear back from them within 10 days. 
After about a week I came home and mum handed me a letter from the Holiday Inn & Movenpick Hotel. My hands were shaking when I opened the letter. I took out the letter and read that I was successful with my application for a Chef's apprenticeship and I was to make an appointment together with my parents for the last interview and signing the contract. I was over the moon and days later we sat in the Restaurant of the Hotel with Executive Chef Norbert Fontana signing the contract. 
In April 1978 my apprenticeship began and completed in April 1981.

Photos of the Hotel I did my Apprenticeship as a Chef 



Next week I chat about how my apprenticeship and my new career in the making began . Enjoy your week, love Life and eat great food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment