Friday 15 April 2016

PART THREE: TESTING THE WATERS -- WORK EXPERIENCE

GETTING SERIOUS -- THE FIRST STEP

MY FIRST TIME IN A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN

I must have posted about 50 applications off to restaurants, hotels, airliners and catering for the railways. That was in a 6 month time period.
My first interview was at a local restaurant. I met the owner and the Chef. You normally bring in a reference or two and so I did. It was a list of schools, courses and also a list of interests and hobbies. Well dressed I introduced myself and did my spill that I was seeking a apprentice- ship as a Chef. So after our talk, the chef showed me the kitchen and after we agreed to take me on for a week as a work experience. 
Work experience is a important part of finding out how it is to work in the trade of your choice.
You have the opportunity to talk and ask questions that will give you the insights on the Trade you want to learn. You get to see for a week how your future work will look like and if you like it. It also gives the employer the opportunity to see you at work and how well you fit in with your work colleagues. But most importantly is for you to find out that you are suited for the job. You must at least enjoy and be passionate enough to become good in your Trade and more importantly for you to enjoy going to work. Nothing worse when you get up in the morning and hating going to work. That is why I emphasize the importance to make the right choice.


TESTING THE WATERS

My first day started on a Tuesday at 9:30 am. I met the head chef and he gave me a chefs outfit to wear, jacket, pants, apron, hat. The kitchen was a good kitchen with room to prep food, big stove, 2 ovens and a few more appliances like food processor, meat slicer, toaster, salamander and stand mixer. 
As a work experience they are going to assess you in your ability to do a few tasks during your shift over a week's period. From peeling vegetables, onions, garlic to chopping herbs and parsley. You may get to be hands on during service. 
Service is between 12 to 2 pm for lunch and 6pm to 10pm for dinner in most places. The Chef's call that time service because they cook all the meals to order. This is a very hectic time where full concentration is required. The only person you hear in the kitchen is the head chef calling out the orders. 
My first day was a day with split shift. You start at 9:30 am to 2:30 pm, then you go home and come back at 5:00pm till 10:00pm, in this case every day. Been a restaurant kitchen, you would just about work always split shifts, unless you work in a restaurant that is only open during the day, say from 6am to 4pm.
So I worked alongside a couple of chefs for 5 days, in that restaurant. After you would sit down with the head chef and chat about the week you had in his kitchen. We shook hands and he will get back to me if I had the apprenticeship or not.
I knew deep down, that I wanted to do my apprenticeship in a hotel, more interesting, challenging and you get to see foods and people from around the World. I wanted to see the World and my first step would be to meet people from around the World in my country, working with them and socialize. I could not see myself working in some small town restaurant because I wanted to see the World as a Chef working in the World. So I had to pick a International Hotel known Worldwide to do my apprenticeship. There was no other option for me. So I started to concentrate sending application letters to all the International Hotels. Lucky for me, my home was 1.5km away from Zurich International Airport, no shortage on very well known hotel chains in my surroundings.  



The photo above is one of the Hotels I went for my work experience. Back in 1977, this was the Hotel International in Zurich and today the Hotel belongs to the Swissotel group.

Next week we talk about my work experience in some hotels and how I got an apprenticeship in a Worldwide hotel chain. Until then, have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment